Monday, November 24, 2008

The Fashion Breakdown .58

Welcome back, wow, what a welcome back! I've reached my 3400+ mark! So thank you to everyone for coming back! So I'll be throwing in a few commentary pieces as part of my effort to offer my readers a glimpse into fashion events. I'll be calling this... "Society Breakdown."

As previously mentioned, I attended the FIDM San Diego Debut and a private industry FIDM open house event. Here is my review their new campus and a some up and coming designers to watch out for in the near future.

The "Society Breakdown":
FIDM San Diego has relocated next to Petco Park. I got the privilege to attend their Debut show along with hundreds of aspiring fashionistas.

FIDM Campus_ The interior campus is designed by famed architect
Clive Wilkinson. The campus had a mod-chic feel; utilizing vibrant colors (hues of yellow and orange), odd plastics and poly-foam-type material to add to the open ambiance. However, I felt at times, it got too Ikea for me with the odd plastics. And I would also ask, how environmentally friendly are these items? Nonetheless, that doesn't distract from the beautifully designed campus. If you ever get a chance to travel up to the 15th floor of the Cox Building the view is to die for. You get a beautiful 180 view of downtown.

I had opportunity to meet designer/FIDM instructor Nick Verreos of Bravo's Project Runway. The following are photos I managed to take during the soiree.
Picture_1, Picture_2, Picture_3

FIDM Debut_ This debut was an opportunity to introduce to your competing FIDM 3rd year students. The following are up and coming designers whose pieces I fell in love with:

Hideka Minami - For her innovative use of tweed outerwear.
Jonique Washington - For her take on menswear bulky knits.
Chelsea Titzer - For her use of fringe, feathers!
Angela Avanesyan - My favorite collection of them all! Her use of soft pleats on chiffons on metallic solids.
Richard Chan - For his Eastern inspired evening-wear. I can definitely see him doing haute-couture pieces.

For video of the show please visit:
FIDM Debut 2008 Much thanks to Christina Haynes for the access to FIDM and its events.

Next on my blog... Finding the perfect LBD and tuxedo suit. LBD = Little Black Dress.
Check back for the next fashion breakdown! Always dress to look your best (Even if it's a pair of sweats and a tee)!